The Role of Anxiety
The ability to feel anxiety and recognise its purpose is an essential survival mechanism. The same is true for imagination.
- We learn by using our imagination to revisit the past (memories) so we can make sense of things, or take comfort from past experiences.
- We grow, develop and evolve by imagining ourselves into our future.
- We use our imagination to create meaningful lives
The issue is not we feel anxiety but rather how, why, and to what end?
- Anxiety is helpful, necessary and useful.
- Purposeless anxiety interferes with being comfortable in your own skin.
- Free-floating anxiety undermines self-awareness, self-confidence and our ability to reach our potential.
- Anxiety generated by negative thinking is harmful to your health .